Saturday, September 22, 2012

Nursery Details: Ikea RAST Hack - Union Jack Nightstand


It's time to share the specifics of some of the diy projects in our nursery. First up is my first Ikea RAST hack, which I turned into a travel-themed piece of furniture by painting a Union Jack on the front.

I was inspired by the many RAST hacks floating around the blogsphere and Pinterest. Some of the main ones were -


I loved the way they stained the surrounding dresser and the pulls they chose, so that's where those elements came from.


This Union Jack done on an actual vintage dresser was sublime! In fact, this was the second one she did... so talented! (Umm, did I mention that it's freehand?)

and finally...


Hello? A RAST (well, two) decorated with a Union Jack? Be still my heart!



Which brings me to my project.

I assembled the RAST dresser except for the drawer fronts. I set them up as they would be once they were on the actual drawers, and taped for paint. I wanted everything to look a bit rustic, though in retrospect, very clean would have been good too.

Step one - Before taping, since the RAST is untreated wood, I primed the drawer front with Kilz spray primer. During this time, I also stained the rest of the dresser with Minwax #230 - Early American (which was rumoured to be the stain that would match the other furniture in the room).

Step two - Spray Krylon gloss white all over the drawers concentrating mostly on the areas that were going to be white. Since the entire background was being painted but only certain small areas were going to be visable, those needed the most attention.

Next, I taped out my lines-


I followed some images of Union Jacks that I found online. It seemed that each portion was not to be uniform, so I used various thicknesses of tape accordingly.

Step three - I folded pieces of newspaper to fit in the areas that would be painted blue, and sprayed my red portions with Krylon Banner Red.

Step four - Finally, when the red portions were dry enough, I covered and taped them however I could to protect them as much as possible and sprayed the blue portions with Krylon Navy Blue (which I don't see on the website anymore and that makes me sad).



Keeping in mind that I was going for the rustic look, I both expected and wanted some paint bleed. If this is not the look you are going for, you'll want to meticulously tape... because I did have paint runs.


Here is what she looked like, after I peeled all the tape off -


Before assembling everything, I just gave the fronts a quick sand with a fine grit sandpaper, to rough it up ever so slightly. Once assembled, I added these ring pulls that we purchased from Lee Valley to update all of the drawers in the room and tie them together.


Finally, a reminder of what Mini-Mister's nightstand looks like, all assembled and put to use in his nursery -




Good luck to any that try it!

post signature

3 comments:

barbara@hodge:podge said...

Oh my - I LOVE it! And thanks for the shout-out!

Kelly Anderson said...

The cutest Rast hack ever! Found you through Barbara. Great work!

How2home said...

This is such a great idea! Great work!